WMA has established an Emergency Fund for Veterans who have short-term emergency financial needs, such as skills training, loss of support, severe illness, and catastrophic accidents. It is a one time per person grant, limited to no more than One Thousand Dollars ($1,000). Here is what you will need to provide:
- A brief letter from you stating the reason(s) why you are requesting emergency funds and
how much money you need (maximum allowable lifetime limit is $1,000). This letter must have
your original signature on it, along with a statement about what, if any, funds you have received
from the WMA MFG program previously.
- Supporting documents showing the specific financial need: For example, these could be
copies of unpaid bills, estimates for car or house repairs, overdue rent or mortgage notices,
school fees that need to be paid, etc.
- A letter from a reliable source stating a personal knowledge of your financial situation and
need for emergency funds. The letter should be from someone like a pastor, a school official,
social worker, counselor, bank official or local WMA chapter officer. The letter must be on
official stationery and have the official's signature and contact information on it.
- A letter from a Veterans Service Officer or a Women's Veterans Coordinator, stating his or
her knowledge of your need for emergency funds. This letter must be on official stationary and
have the official's signature and contact information on it. Links at the bottom of the email can
help you locate your nearest Veterans Service Office.
- A copy of your DD 214 or proof of current active duty. If your name is different than what
is on the DD-214, you will need to provide legal document(s) showing the official name change.
Once we have received a complete application, we will evaluate your submission and get back
to you as quickly as possible once we have received all necessary information. Questions
concerning the program or process should be directed to MFG@womenmarines.org
Please keep in mind that funds are subject to availability..
For More information on this process please start your contact with the Funds Chairperson Emergency Funds MFG@WOMENMARINES.ORG
These are funds that WMA National has set aside to augment chapters’ efforts in their benevolent endeavors. They are not a reimbursement. Talk to your Area Director for more information on this program.
Matching funds of up to $250 each year are requested by the chapter. Each chapter should have a copy of the form located in the "Chapter How To" manual. Letters are not acceptable, the form must be used. If the chapter is providing direct service to veterans, such as giving a party for them or making them comfortable in some way, it should send proof of having raised the necessary funds, possibly through receipts. Then the WMA will reimburse the chapter for not more than $250.
There are two categories for the disbursement of funds:
1. ONE TIME PROJECTS—if a chapter wishes to fund a project at a VA Medical Center (Christmas party, purchase of beauty shop supplies, etc) or equipment, the Matching Fund’s check will be made out to the Medical Center or supplier. A copy of the chapter check should accompany the application.
2. ONGOING PROJECTS—if a chapter wishes to buy supplies for a VA Medical Center (i.e. refreshments, bingo prizes, canteen coupons, arts and crafts materials, etc.), the Matching Funds check will be made out to the chapter. Receipts of purchase must accompany the application and must be submitted before the fiscal year ending 30 June.
Please contact your Area Director or the Matching Funds Committee Char at MFG@womenmarines.org.
1. To encourage volunteer participation by WMA members in support of the veteran communities found at the Regional Veterans Administration and other medical facilities.
2. To provide a record of volunteer hours at Regional VA medical facilities by WMA Chapters and individuals as part of our participation in the Dept of Veterans Affairs Voluntary Service Organizations Advisory Committee.
3. To provide a record of WMA member’s contributions in support of the Women Marines Association’s stated purposes.
WMA VAVS National Rep VAVS@WOMENMARINES.ORG
WMA National records all hours that are worked at the various VA hospitals and clinics. All chapters and members at large should submit complete information to the VAVS National Representative to assure that all hours are properly logged for each working member.