WMA Donates to the Young Marines Memorial Day Flowers Event
With great pride and enthusiasm the Women Marines Association proudly donates to the Young Marines National Foundation the sum of $5,000 to be used for the Memorial Day Rose Campaign.
The Women Marines Association has joined with Young Marines National Foundation in a partnership with the Memorial Day Flowers Foundation, which works with organizations and volunteers to make floral tributes at designated cemeteries to honor veterans. The National Foundation is always looking for ways to demonstrate the impact of the Young Marines organization. Outlined below is a process for engaging Young Marines and their units to help spread the impact of the organization and build long-term support for the National Foundation.
The Young Marines is a youth program that works to promote mental, moral and physical development in young men and women ages 8 to 18. Here they learn:
- honesty, fairness, courage, respect, loyalty, dependability, attention to duty, and fidelity to the United States and its institutions
- To stimulate an interest in, and respect for academic achievement and the history and traditions of the United States and the U.S. Marine Corps
- Their three core values are leadership, discipline, and teamwork
- To promote the physical fitness through the conduct of physical activities, including athletic events and close order drill
- To advocate a healthy drug-free lifestyle by continual drug prevention education programs, including avoiding gateway drugs
- Can receive a higher initial pay grade upon enlistment in any Military Branch.
The creed that every Young Marine lives by is:
- Obey my parents and all others in charge of me whether young or old.
- Keep myself neat at all times without other people telling me to.
- Keep myself clean in mind by attending the church of my faith.
- Keep my mind alert to learn in school, at home, or at play.
- Remember that having self-discipline will enable me to control my body and mind in case of an emergency.
The obligation which they stand by is: “From this day forward, I sincerely promise, I will set an example for all other youth to follow and I shall never do anything that would bring disgrace or dishonor upon my God, my country and its flag, my parents, myself or the Young Marines. These I will honor and respect in a manner that will reflect credit upon them and myself. Semper Fidelis
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the Flower Program:
What is the overall process?
Units decide to participate and select a local veteran cemetery (listed below). Young Marines units can choose local military cemeteries to work with and are not restricted to the current list. If using a new site, units must seek approval from the cemetery to disseminate roses on Memorial Day. The National Foundation will distribute toolkit materials to participating units, outlining logistics and resources. Memorial Day Flowers
Foundation will then ship 250 roses (per kit), banner, flower food, and care instructions to each participating unit via FedEx. Flowers will arrive on Thursday or Friday before Memorial Day and must be sent to a business address. On Memorial Day, units will gather at the cemetery and set one rose on each grave. Units may invite the public or families to participate.
Who covers the cost of the flowers, and how will the orders be completed?
The National Foundation will make an investment to purchase flowers and seek corporate sponsors at the national level. Memorial Day Flowers Foundation will then receive the check for the cost of flowers from the National Foundation and order flowers/kits for each unit.
What clean-up is involved for each unit?
Depending on the cemetery, clean-up may not be necessary. Units should check with the cemetery to determine if the Young Marines need to return to pick up the flowers.
How will the community know the flowers were placed by Young Marines?
With the approval of the cemetery, each unit may set up a designated location with volunteers, signage, flowers, water, etc. Units may not mark any individual grave sites. The toolkit will also provide units with resources to market the event in their community. The National Foundation will also share the impact of the event using social media campaigns.
To be involved with the Young Marines in placing flowers please see the contact list below.